Top 10 Chiptune Songs of 2016


So it's that time once again, the top 10 chiptune tracks of this year. 2016 was full to the brim of talented chipmusic, showing off both creativity and inovation in the genre. I have spent all of this year reviewing and listening to chiptune, so that made I had a good list of epic music. Unfortunately that made choosing my top 10 extremely hard. So anyway let's have a look at what I chose...

10. Tri Angles - Rebel Soul



Tri Angles has stepped up his game in 2016, releasing much more material than the previous year. He also focused on refining his style, heavily utilising the WAV Channel on LSDJ along with his huge Behringer Mixer. 'Rebel Soul' is a true testament his work, being a rather funky track, using the tropes Tri Angles had learnt back in 2015. 'Rebel Soul' also has some epic atmosphere to it, using long periods of silence as momentum as well as some rather amazing arps throughout. 'Rebel Soul' was definitely a Step up from previously and a welcome addition to 2016.

Bandcamp Facebook | Soundcloud | Twitter

9. (T-T)b - Total Vacation



First appearing on the Play it Loud's Yearly music compilation, (T-T)b's track, 'Total Vacation' was a melodic powerhouse, using the Famitracker software as the energy for their amazing leads. Guitar, Bass & Drums were also used as backing to further boost this amazing track. 'Total Vacation' was such a stand out song and ultimately was the first foot steps for (T-T)b in their amazing year.

 Bandcamp | Twitter | Facebook

8. HarleyLikesMusic - Pigeon Shit



If you've read my article on Chiptunes=Win, you'll know that HarleyLikesMusic's song, 'Pigeon Shit' didn't immediately hit me like the majority of these tracks. However it quickly grew on me and became one of my favourites of this year. Although, Harley's Signature track, 'Super Duper Double Duper' had a huge impact at the beginning, I felt 'Pigeon Shit' kept the energy going, especially with it's change into 'half time speed' for moshing mode!

 Bandcamp | twitter | Facebook | Soundcloud | Website | Youtube

7. Villainest - The Machine



Villainest was the first artist to come onto my radar during 2016, with their EP 'A good day to try hard'. 'The Machine' was the most standout track off the album, mainly due to the hardcore style & vocals packed into the song, which was structured over the 32bit Sega Genesis. 'The Machine was such as powerful song, so much so that it was in rotation for long time in my music.

Twitter | Soundcloud | Bandcamp | Facebook | Website


6. An0va - GON GET GOT



Just like Pigeon Shit, 'GON GET GOT' by 'An0va' was another track which took a while to grow on me. However it proved to be an utterly incredible tune, mainly down to its unique focus into the genre, 'Chicago Footwork'. Embracing this genre along with his Commodore Amiga, An0va created a song which was both very technical & rhythmic. I also loved the use of Homer Simpson in the samples! Doh!

Bandcamp Facebook | Soundcloud | Twitter | Website


5. Pixeltune - gemini



I never got into Pixeltune's Cheapbeat Album last year, but I was adamant that I'd give his latest release, 'For A while', a good listen. What I heard blew me away. This was mainly down to the track, 'Gemini' which utilised some epically layered LSDJ work whilst balancing out with some sublime dubstep & EDM. Pixeltune's 'Gemini' is such an extremely unique track, both being harmonious & sharp as a sawtooth.

Twitter | Bandcamp | Soundcloud

4. Jamatar - Lepus rising



Jamatar has had a fantastic year, releasing two albums in one year both of which are critically acclaimed. There isn't a doubt to me then, that one of his tracks would be in my top 10. 'Lepus Rising' is the 2nd song from 'Journeys' and is a fantastic ride, complete with atmospheric keys, heart pounding leads & so much chill throughout. I feel as if I could fall asleep to this song through the way it's produced, and wake up on another planet. It's out of this world.

 Bandcamp | twitter | Facebook | Soundcloud

3. Skybox - æther (feat. Tobokegao)



The only collaborative track on the top 10, 'æther' by Skybox & Tobokegao is tremendous song, which features both artists combining their styles with such creativity and clarity. Skybox & Tobokegao's styles fit so well with another, it's as if one was a hand and the other a glove. From start to finish, æther is a brilliant track and one that I regularly played when driving.

Bandcamp | Twitter | Soundcloud

2. City guys - jetski



A new duo from the UK, 'City guys' really took me by surprise, mainly down to their fantastic 32bit Sega style, mashing up with the urban lifestyle. 'Jetski' was the first track off City Guys' self titled release and ultimately set the bar for the rest of album. It was almost perfect, from it's snappy bass lines to the hectic melodies that are heard throughout. 'Jetski' is such a good track, that even now after the album's February release, it's still in my rotation when I'm listening to my music.

Bandcamp | Off Me Nut Records | Off Me Nut Facebook

1. Please Lose Battle - Sunday chill in Cosmos



So here we are, no.1 of my top 10. I decided to give this to Please Lose Battle's, 'Sunday Chill In Cosmos'. The longest track on this list, 'Sunday Chill' is a really sweetly proggy NES song, constantly changing and moving throughout, it's leads and melodies both smooth & subtle. The drums and bass are the icing on the cake, providing the extra boost of energy to send the song further through the Cosmos. So much thought has gone into 'Sunday Chill in Cosmos'; it is one amazing track to finish off this list.

 Bandcamp | twitter | Facebook | Soundcloud | Website

Well that's it for 2016! I hope you liked my top 10 list. Here's hoping 2017 is even better!

If you want to follow for more chiptune music see below:

No comments:

Post a Comment